Our earlier blogs discussed the treasures in your kitchen and finding gold in your kitchen in the form of turmeric. But turmeric is not just a spice – it is a kind of nutrition packed ingredient that can be easily added to your daily diet. The health benefits of turmeric and the different ways in which it can be used are worth mentioning. Let us understand how turmeric, the king of spices, rules your kitchen.
The King Of Spices – Immunity Booster Turmeric
Most spices give you flavours but turmeric not only adds flavour and colour but also gives you the radiance of good health. It adds the bright yellow colour of positive energy to your food and your diet. Whatever may be your food preparation, the look and feel of the dish completely changes the moment you add turmeric. In most Indian preparations, turmeric is added to enhance the colour, flavour, to make it more appealing. But that’s not all. Turmeric – the king of spices is a boon in disguise, as it comes with a host of health benefits.
Turmeric is considered as one of the most effective spices, owing to its goodness. The yellow colour and the health benefits of turmeric are due to its primary active compound called curcumin. Turmeric is a natural anti-inflammatory spice that you need every day. Long term or chronic inflammation in your body is harmful and is often associated with chronic or severe medical illnesses. This is particularly important for middle-aged people. But turmeric fights inflammation, hence, a must-have spice for a healthy 45 plus. Most of its benefits and uses revolve around this fact.
Some of the health benefits of turmeric are given here
• Turmeric is rich in antioxidants, which protect your body from free radicals. They stimulate your immune system and allow your body’s defense mechanism to work better. Hence, turmeric is considered as a great immunity booster, particularly useful for 45 plus.
• Turmeric can ease your symptoms of chronic pain and inflammatory arthritis. With less joint pain you can focus more on improving the joint mobility and strength with appropriate treatment and exercises.
• The antioxidant properties in turmeric can also work on improving your nerve health. With less inflammation, you can prolong neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s disease. Consuming turmeric regularly can also boost your brain function and reduce the risk of brain diseases.
• It can help regulate blood pressure and reduce your risk of heart diseases. Again an important benefit for 45 plus.
• Being an immunity booster, regular intake of turmeric can also help you prevent or manage diabetes. The complications of diabetes are many and it is best to control the condition with medicines and lifestyle. Turmeric, with its anti-inflammatory and healing properties, proves to be valuable in diabetes management.
• For a healthy 45 plus, it is important to know that turmeric can help prevent depression and fight age-related chronic diseases.
• With anti-inflammatory properties, turmeric may play a crucial role in protecting you against certain types of cancers. While more research is going on, regular intake of turmeric can reduce inflammation and protect your cells from damage.
These are just some health benefits of turmeric for 45 plus. Turmeric is used in other forms as well – as a paste for glowing skin, for wound healing.
How Turmeric Rules Your Kitchen
That is amazing! The benefits of turmeric are truly unmatched. The best part is that a kitchen spice offers these health benefits and that you can use it the way you want. No wonder, turmeric has been the main spice ingredient since ancient times. With such valuable uses, turmeric rules your kitchen and if used effectively, it can glow your health too.
There are various ways in which you can add turmeric to your food preparation.
• Soups – A dash of turmeric in your soups can add a healthy flavour.
• Curries – Add turmeric to your curries to enhance its taste and health.
• Dals – Turmeric to your dal not only imparts colour but also helps boost your immunity
• Parathas – With a choice of healthy flour add turmeric for vibrant colour and healthy snacks.
• Rice – Be it in any form, rice dishes or khichdi, turmeric perfectly suits the preparation
• Cakes – Turmeric goes well in almost all your favourite dishes – cakes, cookies or other baked items.
• Pickles – Add turmeric to any type of pickles, chutneys, and other flavouring side dishes for enhanced healthy touch.
• Juices – Spice up your juice with some turmeric and enjoy a refreshing healthy drink
• Turmeric Milk – For a healthy touch to your milk, boil it with turmeric and enjoy your turmeric health drink.
immunity booster Turmeric rules your kitchen also because it is a natural antiseptic, antibacterial, and is used as an effective disinfectant. Turmeric paste is also applied to vegetables, chicken or fish to clean them thoroughly before cooking. Many people prefer washing such fresh food items with turmeric while many marinate with turmeric and other spices.
While turmeric is naturally available in your kitchen, turmeric supplements are also available. You can decide based on your health condition and seek medical advice, as needed. In our next blog, we will discuss how turmeric helps to boost your immunity and fight illnesses.