Everyone must have had their fair share of “Haldi Doodh” (Turmeric Milk), once or more in their lifetime. Yes, it is readily available and effective household remedy for several ailments used in every Indian family. The age old tradition of consuming this Haldi doodh has been passed on to us from many centuries by our ancestors. Everyone must be having memories of the grandma’s preparation of Haldi doodh. So what has made this preparation so treasurable that even after centuries, it is prepared in every home without fail.
Turmeric, popularly known as Haldi in India, grown abundantly and has multiple therapeutic benefits. The magic of this aromatic spice goes way beyond just wound healing. The medicinal properties of turmeric are attributed to the presence of, a compound known as Curcumin. It is the vital component exhibiting multiple health benefits by acting at the target tissues and organs. Thus when this Turmeric is combined with milk, it acts as a medium for the transport of curcumin in turmeric to the target site, and desired action is achieved. Let us peek into some wonders of this Golden beverage.
Health Benefits of Turmeric milk or Haldi Doodh
- An excellent remedy for Cough and Cold
- Turmeric is known to have antibiotic properties. Also according to Ayurveda, it helps in alleviating Kapha dosha. So turmeric when combined with milk and a dash of black pepper and Cinnamon is an excellent remedy in Cough and Cold.
- Potent Immune Booster
- A robust immune system is required to protect ourselves from different kinds of infections in these days of pandemics. The immune booster action in turmeric activates our body’s immune system and protects us from various diseases.
- Wound Healing
- Healing properties of this golden goddess are not new to our knowledge. Taking turmeric milk helps in the speedy recovery from different kinds of traumatic wounds.
- Induces sound sleep
- A pinch of turmeric in milk along with some sugar, when taken at the night induces calm and sound sleep.
- Turmeric is a potent anti-inflammatory agent. Turmeric milk, when combined with dried ginger powder, which also possess anti-inflammatory action, is an excellent remedy in reducing inflammation in joints and other organs.
- Pain reliever
- The anti-arthritic property of curcumin can be well utilized by consuming turmeric milk regularly.
- Cosmetic benefits
- Turmeric helps in rejuvenating and revitalizing the skin. It helps your skin become radiant and acne-free.