You do your blood glucose tests and you are diagnosed with prediabetes. Your blood glucose levels are slightly above normal but not high enough to be called diabetes. Your doctor talks to you about your condition – and you realize that you either continue ignoring your health or decide to go back to normal. So, here begins your journey trying to reverse prediabetes naturally and prevent type 2 diabetes. This is the first most important step for a healthy 45 plus.
In our earlier blogs, we have interpreted the lab results of high blood glucose and seen the possible complications of prediabetes. While prediabetes can be prolonged with appropriate lifestyle and treatment, getting rid of it is even better. So the best thing to do is to try to reverse the condition. In this blog, we will discuss how to reverse prediabetes naturally?
Top 5 Ways To Reverse Prediabetes Naturally
With all the worrisome side effects of almost everything around, it is necessary to make some changes naturally. The same goes for reversing prediabetes as well. So, all you have to focus on now is to get back your blood glucose to normal. Everything that influences your blood glucose should be on your watchlist – and bringing them back on track is your mission.
Here are some of the effective ways to reverse prediabetes naturally.
1. Lower your weight – It is easier said than done. But this is all you can do – the best part is that it is very much possible. Also, your weight, in most cases, is directly linked to your blood glucose levels. It is all about your body metabolism. If you reduce your weight even by some pounds or kilos, you may note a difference in your blood glucose levels. A healthy diet with increased activity levels can help you lose weight effectively and reverse prediabetes naturally. Set realistic goals and track your progress regularly to stay motivated.
2. Plan a diet – Remember – weight control and reversing prediabetes! So plan a diet that gives you good nutrition but keeps a check on your weight. The first step is to plan the right diet – seek expert help if necessary – arrange those foods at home.
Bring in foods that boost your metabolism and those that keep you energized throughout the day. Avoid foods that cause a spike in blood sugar levels or comfort foods as they are harmful both for your weight and blood sugar. These include sweets, bakery products like cakes, pastries, and biscuits. Rice, bread, and products made of refined flour or Maida act the same. Instead, prefer complex carbohydrates and foods with fiber – these include whole wheat, bran, brown rice, oats, vegetables, and sprouts. Count more on proteins, veg and non-veg both. Try to completely cut down on all sugars and sweet-tasting foods. Count your calorie intake and work on your diet portions for a healthy weight, which can also help reverse prediabetes naturally.
3. Move more – One of the best ways to reverse prediabetes naturally is to include some form of physical activity in your daily routine. When we talk about metabolism, your daily exercises and physical activity matters a lot. While you can spend 30 to 40 minutes a day doing some cardio fitness workouts like walking, cycling, or yoga, you also need to be active throughout the day. Take up household chores as your tasks – so whenever you take a break from your office work you can do some of those and be active. Take the stairs instead of the lifts for lower floors and walk to your neighbouring market instead of driving. Walking and cycling down the lane for outdoor in your vicinity is a great way to stay fit.
4. Relax at night – Just like type 2 diabetes, prediabetes too is very much related to stress hormones. With inadequate sleep and continuous, increased stress, you will find it difficult to manage prediabetes. If you wish to reverse prediabetes naturally for a healthy 45 plus, you need to find ways to relax and get good sleep at night. Practice this for a few days, your biorhythm will set right and you will eventually begin feeling relaxed. This will surely impact your blood glucose levels and bring them down with time.
5. Redefine your Lifestyle – Lifestyle modifications are an important part of reversing prediabetes naturally. Simple dietary changes, being more active, and religiously following a healthy lifestyle have shown great positive effects on blood glucose levels. So, when you aim at reversing prediabetes, chalk out a plan that defines – or rather redefines your lifestyle.
• Make a routine – include eating healthy foods, daily exercise, talking to friends and family, spending time doing your hobbies, and writing about your feelings in it.
• Avoid binge eating, alcohol, and smoking – Find better ways to manage your stress like indulging in music, art, sports, or reading.
• Strike a work-life balance – All work and no rest can be harmful. Prioritize your work and manage working hours such that you get enough rest. Sleep well at night or seek help from a counsellor or a doctor, if needed.
• Monitor your health – check blood glucose levels regularly and follow medical advice.
These ways to reverse prediabetes naturally will surely help you lay a foundation for a healthy 45 plus. In our next blogs, we will discuss in detail about effective dietary changes to reverse prediabetes.