Natural Remedies For Pre-diabetes
Now we all are aware that prediabetes can be reversed. As this stage is an in-between stage, you would like to try out every possible method to control your blood sugar levels and not let it reach the diagnosis of type 2 diabetes. Natural remedies for prediabetes are such an option for people who wish to follow the natural way.
Some of the natural remedies are herbs, spices, and your day to day food items. You can use them in your daily diet or plan a routine to have it as a home remedy. It is better to take these in moderate amounts and as a part of your diet for a considerable period. If you wish to have them in large quantities or wish to know about their blood sugar-lowering effects, it is best to talk to your doctor. Regular intake can help in controlling blood sugar levels and reversing diabetes.
Some of the popular natural remedies for pre-diabetes include
- Fenugreek – Fenugreek seeds are popularly used as the fiber content in it, which may slow the digestion and absorption of sugar in the blood. This helps to maintain blood sugar level and also help in reversing prediabetes when taken for a longer period.
- Cinnamon – Cinnamon, which is a well-known spice is one of the popular natural remedies for prediabetes. It is believed that it helps the body cells to better respond to insulin, thus lowering blood sugar levels. Several studies have shown these effects, which could be seen by recording a decrease in fasting blood sugar and a three month average with HbA1C reports.
- Aloe vera – Aloe vera is a natural remedy not only for skin and hair but can also help in reducing your blood sugar levels. Juice from its extract is consumed as a natural remedy to reverse prediabetes.
- Magnesium – People with prediabetes and diabetes are at greater risk of lower levels of magnesium. This can cause nerve-related symptoms like tingling, numbness, cramps, and affect your appetite. As magnesium is involved in insulin function, taking adequate magnesium can help in improving insulin performance and help in reducing blood sugar.
- Ginseng – This is also a known natural remedy for prediabetes and diabetes as it helps to increase your body’s insulin secretion. It is also a popular antiaging remedy that helps you control fatigue and perform your functions better.
- Probiotics – Your gut health is one of the most important parameters that determine your health. Damage to the gut bacteria is linked with various diseases including diabetes and other metabolic diseases. It is seen that people who regularly have probiotics can improve their gut flora and improve digestion and metabolism. This can affect glucose metabolism too and help in reversing prediabetes by lowering your blood sugar levels.
- Vitamin D – People with high blood sugar levels are at risk of lower vitamin D. While this essential vitamin can be obtained from the sunlight, it can also be obtained from certain food sources like eggs, fatty fish, fish liver oil, and fortified cereals, juices or milk. It is hence considered as one of the natural remedies for prediabetes.
Apart from these, there are various other remedies like Holy Basil or Tulsi, bilberry extract, okra, Jamun leaves or powder, gooseberry or amla are considered useful in lowering blood sugar levels.
- Anti-inflammatory foods – Like ginger, garlic, turmeric, green tea are also popular for their healing properties and richness in anti-oxidants.
- Fibrous foods – Like whole grains, whole wheat, brown rice, oats, barley, fibrous fruits and vegetables, sprouts, and nuts help fill your stomach. They not only offer food satiety but also help to form the bulk and thus help to flush out toxins from the body.
- Low GI Food – Foods low in Glycaemic Index like apple, pear, pomegranate too are considered beneficial. These do not cause a sudden spike in blood sugar levels and can help in controlling
- Foods rich in chromium –As these food promote cellular function, they also help improve the performance of insulin. The deficiency of chromium can affect normal glucose metabolism, whereas having a regular intake of chromium-rich foods can help in reversing prediabetes. Such foods include tomatoes, oats, broccoli, and barley.
- Water-Water is considered to be the best drink to reverse prediabetes. While it helps better absorption of nutrients and improves the functioning of the organs, it also prevents dehydration. If you stay hydrated, your blood sugar levels can be maintained well.
- Exercises – These may not be those remedies that you will eat but these are surely one of the natural remedies for prediabetes that you will perform and experience the blood lowering effects. Regular exercises, daily walks with a balanced, healthy diet have shown to reduce blood sugar levels. This can help in reversing prediabetes and maintain good health.
Most of these natural remedies are available naturally, however, for some who are unable to meet the demands or have difficulty in absorption, nutritional supplements are advised. Almost all the natural remedies for prediabetes discussed above are also available as supplements. It is important to take these with your doctor’s advice. Exercises too may be specific for some, based on your health condition, so consult your doctor for an individual exercise regimen.